This Low Carb Skinny Margarita Recipe is lower in carbs, sugar and calories then a traditional Margarita but it is not missing any of the flavor! Plus this Low Carb Skinny Margarita recipe is super easy to make!
Low Carb Skinny Margarita
Cinco De Mayo is in just a few days (which means we need some low carb Cinco De Mayo recipes) and summer is almost here so having a tasty low carb Margarita is something I wanted to share with you. Did you also know that in July there is a National Tequila Day? I didn’t until a friend recently told me there was, and this Low Carb Skinny Margarita recipe is the perfect drink to celebrate the day with.
If you are looking for the perfect skinny Margarita recipe to enjoy for National Margarita Day, which is in February, this is the best skinny Margarita recipe ever!
Looking for more Low Carb summer drinks? Check these out!
- White Claw Slushie
- Salted Caramel Low Carb Frappuccino
- Sugar Free Frappuccino
- Whipped Matcha Latte
- keto dalgona coffee
- Blackberry Iced Tea
How Much Sugar is in a Margarita?
Ok, so I have to be totally honest here and tell you that until I started looking at the nutritional information for alcoholic drinks I did not realize just how much sugar is in a traditional margarita.
I am not a big drinker, I have a drink on occasion but I was floored at just how much sugar, carbs and calories are in a margarita.
To make a margarita I always just took the “easy way” and used a mix like Margaritaville Margarita Mix or Mr & Mrs T Margarita Mix. They have anywhere from 22g – 27g of sugar per serving! Yikes! That doesn’t even include the sugar that is in the other margarita ingredients.
Thankfully with this skinny margarita recipe you have a ton less sugar, a ton less carbs and you are not skipping out on any of the flavors. This skinny margarita recipe has just 3g net carbs per serving!
Best Sugar Alternative for Making Margaritas
If you have a liquid sweetener like stevia or liquid monkfruit then you can skip the water boiling step and just add the liquid sweetener and orange extract to the water. Just add the sweetener to your preference of sweetness.
Alternative for Triple Sec in Low Carb Drinks
If you did not know Triple Sec is an orange flavored liqueur that is used when making a margarita. It is very high in sugar and contains 11 grams of sugar per ounce. That is to much sugar for a low carb drink!
To still have the orange flavor but not all the sugar I used orange extract. It gave the perfect flavor with out all the sugar that is in Triple Sec.
Low Carb Skinny Margarita Ingredients
- swerve sweetener or other sweetener alternative
- orange extract
- lime zest
- fresh-squeezed lime juice
- sea salt (for garnish rim)
- Lime for Garnish
How to Make Low Carb Skinny Margarita
If you need something to make your life easier when measuring, this ounces measuring cup is perfect.
In a small pot on the stove add the water and swerve. Bring the water and swerve to a boil. Stir until all the swerve has dissolved. Stir in the orange extract and allow this to cool.
In a metal drink shaker halfway full of ice combine 3 oz of the swerve water, lime zest, lime juice, and tequila together. Shake this mixture until it is chilled.
Pour a small amount of sea salt on a plate.
Run a piece of lime over the edge of the glass and then dip the rim of the glass in the sea salt.
Add ice to the glass and pour the low carb margarita mix into the glass and garnish with lime slices.
Looking for recipes to pair with a skinny margarita? Check these out!
- Low Carb Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Crock-pot Barbacoa Recipe
- Chili Lime Chicken
- Low Carb Taco Salad
- Spicy Avocado Dip
- Chaffle Tacos
- Chicken Quesadilla Chaffles
- Homemade guacamole
Low Carb Skinny Margarita Recipe
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup swerve
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- zest of one lime
- 3 ounces lime juice Preferably fresh-squeezed
- 3 ounces tequila
- lime for garnish
- sea salt for rim of glass
- In a small pot on the stove add the water and swerve. Bring the water and swerve to a boil. Stir until all the swerve has dissolved. Stir in the orange extract and allow this to cool.
- In a shaker halfway full of ice combine 3 oz of the swerve water, lime zest, lime juice, and tequila together. Shake this mixture until it is chilled.
- Pour a small amount of sea salt on a plate.
- Run a piece of lime over the edge of the glass and then dip the rim of the glass in the sea salt.
- Add ice to the glass and pour the low carb margarita mix into thee glass and garnish with lime slices.