When you are looking for a delicious and guilt-free way to top your cupcakes or cake, you have to try this Sugar Free Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. It is made with real chocolate and creates a rich and creamy frosting that is perfect for those who are watching their sugar intake. This sugar free frosting is so good that you’ll never even know it’s sugar free, low carb, and keto!
Sugar Free Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
This sugar free chocolate buttercream frosting recipe is delicious and perfect for those on a sugar-free, low carb or diet. This keto buttercream frosting recipe is made with simple ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen right now, especially if you are someone who deals with having a sweet tooth.
Frost your favorite dessert with this easy, sugar-free chocolate buttercream frosting recipe. You won’t be able to tell the difference between this low carb frosting and regular frosting. This sugar free frosting recipe is the closest things to true buttercream that you are going to get that you can enjoy while being low carb, keto and sugar free.
This low carb chocolate frosting is so delicious that you can totally eat it off a spoon! Ok, so you might not want to tell anyone that you do that, but I will admit it that I totally do! It for sure tastes like the real deal and will be a chocolate buttercream that your whole family loves!
This keto chocolate buttercream frosting has a rich chocolate flavor, smooth texture and is perfect for using with low carb and keto desserts. This keto frosting recipe is just as simple to make as a traditional buttercream frosting recipe and if you are a chocolate lover then you are going to love this easy frosting recipe.
You can use this keto chocolate frosting recipe when you are making keto cupcakes or a keto cake or keto layer cakes, my personal favorite is making keto chocolate cupcakes and topping them with this easy chocolate buttercream frosting recipe. You can also put it on top of keto brownies to make them an extra special treat.
How long can sugar free buttercream frosting sit out?
When you use this sugar free buttercream on cakes and cupcakes you are able to leave it sit at room temperature. It is generally good for 3 days when it is left out. When I make a batch of buttercream I keep it in the refrigerator until I am ready to use it.
Can Buttercream Be Made in Advance?
When I am making low carb desserts, I love to use this sugar free chocolate buttercream. Sometimes, I want to have the frosting made in advance because I won’t have time to make it the day I make the cakes. The frosting can be made up to 3 days in advance and still taste just as fresh as the day it was made.
How to Store Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Once the buttercream frosting is made, it can be left at room temperature for about 3 days. If you want it to last longer, store it in the refrigerator. It will last up to 2 weeks. Place it in an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator.
If the buttercream icing is hard when you pull it back out of the refrigerator, let it come to room temperature and whip it quickly with the mixer. This will make it fluffy again.
Can You Freeze keto buttercream?
If you won’t finish the frosting before it goes back in 2 weeks, you can also place this low carb chocolate buttercream in the freezer. It will last for about 2 months in the freezer. I like to put it in a freezer bag or an airtight freezer safe container. When you are ready to use, remove it from the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Once it is softened, whip it one last time before using.
What is The Best Sugar Free Chocolate to Use
I like to use Lily’s sugar free chocolate when making this keto chocolate buttercream frosting. It has a great taste and isn’t known to cause stomach discomfort like some of the other brands. Make sure to use something that is sweetened with stevia. But you can use your favorite brand of sugar free chocolate chips when making it.
Tips for Making Sugar Free Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Use room temperature butter. Too cold and the butter will leave lumps in the frosting. Melted and the butter will not get that fluffiness you are looking for.
Sift the cocoa powder and sugar free powdered sugar. This prevents lumps in the frosting.
Use an Electric mixer. I use my kitchenAid mixer when making this easy buttercream frosting, but if you do not have a stand mixer then you can use a hand mixer. Either one will do the job, but I prefer using the stand mixer.
Slowly melt the chocolate chips. When you are melting them in the microwave it is important to do it in 30 second intervals so you do not burn the chocolate. It is also important to stir the chocolate in between heating it in the microwave so it all melts evenly.
Use the paddle attachment and the whisk attachment for the stand mixer. When you are making this low carb chocolate frosting it is best to use the paddle attachment when you start and then switch to the whisk attachment when you are fluffying the frosting.
- Butter. You can use salted butter or unsalted butter for this recipe. I find using salted butter gives it a bit of a different taste, but my family loves it no matter which type of butter I use. It is important that the butter is at room temperature before mixing it with the sugar. It is important to use butter at room temperature when you are making frosting.
- swerve confectioner. You can use another powdered sweetener but I prefer to use swerve.
- Heavy Whipping Cream. Full fat whipping cream is needed for this recipe.
- vanilla extract. You can use store bought vanilla extract but I prefer to use homemade vanilla extract.
- sugar-free chocolate chips. I prefer to use Lily’s chocolate chips, but you can also use other brands of sugar free chocolate chips.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder. You can use your favorite brand, I prefer to use a rich cocoa powder with a strong chocolate flavor because I am a huge chocolate fan, when I am making this sugar free chocolate frosting recipe.
How to Make Sugar Free Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Place the butter and swerve in the bowl of a stand mixer.
Mix them together on low speed until the sugar is incorporated and the butter and sugar are combined.
Add in the heavy cream and the vanilla extract and give it a quick mix on medium speed.
Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and melt the chocolate in 30-second intervals making sure to stir between each time until the chocolate is fully melted.
Pour the melted chocolate and cocoa powder into the buttercream frosting mixture.
Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and continue mixing for 6-8 minutes until light and fluffy.
Sugar Free Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1.5 cups swerve confectioner
- 2 tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar-free chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- Place your butter and swerve in the bowl of your mixer. Mix them together on low speed until the sugar is incorporated.
- Mix in the heavy cream and the vanilla extract.
- Place your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt the chocolate in 30-second intervals making sure to stir between each time until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Pour the chocolate and cocoa powder into the buttercream.
- Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and continue mixing for 6-8 minutes until light and fluffy.
Leave a Reply