Looking for an easy dinner recipe? This baked Mozzarella chicken recipe is an easy low carb and keto chicken skillet recipe. With juicy chicken thighs, tomatoes, and melted mozzarella cheese along with amazing spices, this easy chicken recipe is perfect for dinner!
Baked Mozzarella Chicken Recipe
I am a huge cheese fan. I mean, if I listed my top five favorite foods of all time, cheese would be at the top – mozzarella, to be specific. Cheddar is just below it, but ohmygosh I love cheese so much. Now that I’ve declared my love for this delicious ooey-gooey-ness, let’s talk about this easy mozzarella chicken recipe I just made.
Simple ingredients (chicken, mozzarella, tomato) make the best dishes. I’m always juggling kids, blogging, and homeschooling. Life is crazy busy here and I need to make sure I have easy, delicious meals that everyone will love to eat! This Mozzarella chicken is always a huge hit with everyone in the house.
This meal is a great main dish to make for a family where some eat low carb and others don’t. Baked chicken with mozzarella cheese is flavorful while being low carb and keto friendly!
Why you will love this recipe
No sauce. This mozzarella chicken recipe with out tomato sauce is perfect for changing things up and having a baked chicken dish that doesn’t have sauce. I mean, we all love sauce at times but I don’t think sauce is a must for every chicken recipe and this recipe proves it.
Easy to make. Along with being easy to make this baked chicken with mozzarella cheese is made with simple and fresh ingredients. No weird ingredients that are hard to find.
Leftovers store great. If you have leftovers store them in the fridge and enjoy them the next day for lunch! They are easy to store and easy to reheat!
What to Serve with Mozzarella Chicken
There are lots of different veggies that go well with this easy low carb chicken recipe. This makes for the perfect dinner when served with a side salad, but if you are looking for more side dish recipes check these out!
Best Oil to use when Making this dish
Start this meal off with one tablespoon of any healthy oil. You can use avocado oil, coconut oil, or vegetable oil. Healthy fats are a critical ingredient in any keto diet. You want high fat, medium protein, low carb. That’s how I always remember it: high, medium, low.
Can I use different types of chicken?
I like using chicken thighs but you can use chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins. You will need to adjust the cooking time a little bit if you are using a different cut of chicken than the chicken thighs.
Tips for making this recipe
Use fresh mozzarella cheese. The rolls and blocks of fresh mozzarella cheese are the best options when making this recipe. It melts perfectly giving you the melted cheese that makes this baked chicken recipe perfect. Shredded mozzarella has additives so that it doesn’t stick together in the bag so I do not suggest using it, it will work but the cheese will not melt as well as fresh.
Red Pepper flakes are optional. I like the little bit of kick they give in the dish, but if you are not a fan of anything spicy or with a kick you can leave them out.
If your skillet is not oven safe, transfer the chicken to a baking dish.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftovers need to be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. They will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Oven Baked Mozzarella Chicken Ingredients
- virgin olive oil. I prefer using olive oil but you can also use coconut oil or avocado oil.
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs. You can use chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins but you will need to adjust the cook time for them because they need longer and shorter cook time compared to boneless chicken thighs.
- Italian seasoning.
- Sea salt. You can also use kosher salt or table salt.
- black pepper.
- unsalted butter. While I prefer using unsalted butter and adding salt to taste after I have made the meal you can use salted butter if that is what you have on hand.
- chicken broth Preferably organic or homemade but you can use any chicken broth you have on hand.
- cherry tomatoes. If you do not have cherry tomatoes you can also use other tomatoes but these are our favorite to use, they just need to be fresh.
- fresh Mozzarella cheese. Fresh mozzarella is prefered, shredded has addictives and doesn’t melt as well as fresh mozzareall does.
- red pepper flakes. If you do not like spice leave this out, they don’t add much spice but a small kick.
How to Make Mozzarella Chicken
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat.
Rub the chicken thighs with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle both sides with one tablespoon Italian seasoning. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and transfer to the hot skillet.
Cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until the chicken develops a golden crust.
Remove from heat and add butter, chicken broth, and cherry tomatoes. Top each chicken thigh with a slice of fresh Mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes and remaining Italian seasoning.
Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Transfer the skillet into pre-heated oven and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and the Mozzarella is melted.
Remove from oven and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes.
To serve, top chicken with some pan sauce and fresh basil sprigs, if desired.
Low Carb Chicken Recipes
- Ranch Chicken
- Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo
- Alice Springs Chicken
- Green Chili Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Chili Lime Chicken
Mozzarella Chicken Thighs
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1½ Tablespoon Italian seasoning divided
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ cup chicken broth preferably organic
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 8 oz. fresh Mozzarella cheese sliced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Optional garnish: Sprigs fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat.
- Rub the chicken thighs with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle both sides with one tablespoon Italian seasoning. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and transfer to the hot skillet. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until the chicken develops a golden crust.
- Remove from heat and add butter, chicken broth, and cherry tomatoes. Top each chicken thigh with a slice of fresh Mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes and remaining Italian seasoning.
- Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Transfer skillet into pre-heated oven and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and the Mozzarella is melted.
- Remove from oven and allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes.
- To serve, top chicken with some pan sauce and fresh basil sprigs, if desired.
More Low Carb Recipes you will love!
That looks so good!