This Chili Lime Chicken Recipe is the perfect blend of flavors – sweet, sour, spicy, and savory. The lime juice and zest brighten up the dish and add a punch of flavor, while the chili powder gives it a slight kick. The chicken breasts are cooked until they are juicy and tender, making this dish an easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love.
Chili Lime Chicken Recipe
Love chicken but looking for a way to spice it up? This Chili Lime Chicken Recipe is perfect for you! It’s flavorful, healthy, and easy to make. You’ll love the delicious mix of spices in this recipe. And it’s so simple to make – you can have dinner on the table in no time.
This easy recipe is perfect for making healthy meals for dinner quickly. Make the easy chili lime marinade and then marinate the chicken. Then bake in the oven, while the chicken cooks make a side dish and dinner is done in about 20 minutes.
This flavorful chicken recipe is one that I have made for years and my whole family loves. I like that I can get a healthy and flavorful meal on the table quickly on busy weeknights and this is one of my kids favorites to have me make extras of and store in the freezer in individual servings for them to reheat for easy lunches.
While being on a keto diet and sticking to healthy eating you do not have to give up tasty food and this easy baked chicken recipe is perfect for those on a low carb diet, keto diet and anyone who loves a tasty chicken recipe.
Can I Cook the Lime Chicken on a Grill?
I am cooking this low carb chicken recipe in the oven because during the busy times of the year it is easier for me and this is one of my go to keto baked chicken recipes for nights when things are super busy because of how quickly it cooks.
You can totally make grilled chili-lime chicken and during the summer months that is my to go recipe for using this chili-lime dry rub marinade. Grilling chicken changes the cook time a bit and there is more effort needed to cook the chicken since you have to watch it a bit more to prevent burning. Also the cooking time is different when you are grilling rather than baking. Be sure you check out the grilled chili lime chicken recipe for all of the instructions on how to grill it.
How to Tell When baked Chicken is Done cooking
The best way to tell if chicken is done cooking is to use a food thermometer. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Another way to tell if chicken is done cooking is to cut into the thickest part of the chicken and make sure that the juices are running clear. If the juices are still pink, the chicken is not done cooking.
How to Meal Prep this recipe
Prep before baking. You can meal prep this recipe to make life easy and put the chicken and the chili lime chicken marinade into a zip close freezer bag and then store in the freezer. Freeze for up to 3 months. You can pull the chicken from the freezer the night before and let thaw in the fridge and then bake as per the directions.
Prep after baking. You can also meal plan with this recipe after baking it. Allow the chicken to cool completely and then store in the fridge or the freezer.
How Long Does it Last?
Cooked chicken will last in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also freeze cooked chicken for up to 2 months. When you are ready to eat the frozen chicken, thaw it in the fridge overnight or cook it directly from frozen.
How to Store
Make sure the chicken has cooled completely. Place it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
How to Freeze leftovers
Allow the chicken to cool completely and then place in a freezer bag or an airtight container and store in the freezer. If you are storing cooked chicken in the freezer, make sure to write the date on the container so you know how long it has been in there.
What do you Serve with chili lime chicken?
There are many low carb side dishes that pair well with chili lime chicken. If you are wanting a quick and easy healthy dinner while the chicken is baking make a few vegetable side dishes and then dinner is done. You can also keep it as simple as making a fresh side salad and calling it done. Be sure to check out some of our favorite keto side dish recipes that pair well with chicken.
Ways to use Chili lime chicken
While it makes for a great main dish you can also use this chicken to make other dishes.
- Chili lime chicken Tacos. Cook the chicken and then use hard shell taco shells or tortillas and add your favorite taco toppings.
- Chicken Taco Salad. One of my favorite ways to enjoy this chicken is with a salad, my favorite is when I make a chicken taco salad with the marinated chicken and then top it with guacamole, lime wedges, and fresh cilantro.
Tips for making this recipe
- For stronger flavor poke the chicken with a fork before marinating and marinate longer then 20 minutes.
- You can make this grilled chicken recipe on a grilling pan on the stove or on an outside grill.
- If you want to have spicier chili lime chicken you can add extra chili powder or add some cayenne pepper to the marinade mix.
- Make a double batch. If you are wanting to meal prep, you can easily make a double batch of this chicken and then freeze the leftovers for another easy meal.
How Long to Marinate Chili Lime Chicken
You want to marinate the chicken for a minimum of 20 minutes. However, the longer you marinate the better the flavors will get into the chicken. If you are short on time, make sure to marinate for at least 20 minutes. If you plan ahead, you can marinate for up to 24 hours.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs for This Recipe?
Yes, you can! Boneless skinless chicken thighs are a great option for this recipe. They are cheaper than chicken breasts and have more flavor. Just make sure to cook the chicken thighs until they are cooked through before serving since the cooking time will be different than cooking chicken breast.
Chili Lime Chicken Ingredients
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- olive oil
- lime zest and lime juice
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- brown sugar or MonkFruit Golden
- chipotle chili powder
- ground cumin
- onion powder
How to make Chili Lime Chicken
In a small bowl add all of the spices, brown sugar, olive oil, lime juice, and lime zest together and mix well.
Cut your chicken breast in half horizontally so you end up with thin pieces of chicken.
Rub the chicken with the spice mixture and place in a plastic bag or a baking dish.
Let the mixture sit on the chicken for 20 minutes.
Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or a rimmed baking sheet.
Place chicken in a baking dish or on the baking sheet whichever you are using.
Bake at 450 for 25 minutes.
Keto Chicken Recipes
- Air fryer lemon pepper chicken
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Skillet
- Keto Chicken Parmesan
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Italian Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime the zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or MonkFruit Golden
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl add all of the spices, brown sugar, olive oil, lime juice and lime zest together and mix well.
- Cut your chicken breast in half so you end up with 6 thin pieces of chicken.
- Rub the chicken with the spice mixture and place in a plastic bag or a baking dish.
- Let the mixture sit on the chicken for 20 minutes.
- Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place chicken in a baking dish or on the baking sheet which ever you are using.
- Bake at 450 for 25 minutes.