Keto Buckeyes are the perfect snack for those on a keto diet! Made with healthy fats and no sugar, they are a delicious and nutritious treat. These sugar free buckeyes are perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth without ruining your diet. With their rich chocolate flavor and creamy texture, keto peanut butter balls are sure to become your new favorite snack!
Low Carb Keto Peanut Butter Balls (Keto Buckeyes)
Keto Buckeyes are the perfect solution when you are craving the chocolate and peanut butter flavors of this classic treat. Unlike the traditional recipe, this is made with healthy fats that will keep you fueled and is sugar free so you are not riding the carb wave and causing a blood sugar crash.
Using simple ingredients including sugar free natural creamy peanut butter, cream cheese, sugar free chocolate and a few other ingredients makes for the perfect sweet treat for peanut butter lovers. The combination of peanut butter and chocolate makes for one of my favorite ways to kick the craving for reese’s peanut butter cups. This easy recipe for no bake keto peanut butter balls is one of my favorite sweet treats to make.
If you are looking for little treats that will help you stick to the keto diet then you are going to love this easy recipe. I like to make a big batch of them and enjoy them all week long. Going low carb has meant that I have had to find keto-friendly substitutes for my favorite things and with my busy life i need easy keto recipes and this one is the perfect low-carb dessert that is also a great sweet treat I enjoy.
Keto Dessert Recipes
What Are Buckeyes
Buckeyes are a type of candy made from chocolate and peanut butter. The candy is named after the nut of the Ohio buckeye tree. Buckeyes are traditionally made by dipping a ball of peanut butter fudge into melted chocolate, then allowing the chocolate to harden.
The keto buckeye is a low carb, sugar free version of the popular candy. This recipe uses a sugar free chocolate and a keto friendly peanut butter to make a delicious treat that is suitable for those on a keto diet.
Can I Eat Peanut Butter Buckeyes on a Keto Diet?
You can not eat the traditional buckeyes because they are loaded with sugar and carbs. However, you can eat the buckeyes you make with this recipe. This recipe is sugar free and uses Lily’s sugar free chocolate for the outside coating.
Peanut butter has a little bit of carbs in it. If you are using a peanut butter than has sugar added, you are adding a lot of carbs. You want a natural peanut butter or no sugar added peanut butter.
What Sugar Do I Use
I am not adding any sugar to the recipe. I am using the sweetness in the peanut butter and the sugar free chocolate as the sugar in this recipe. It should be sweet enough. However, if the filling is not as sweet as you like, you can add some sugar substitute powdered sugar to the filling until it is as sweet as you like.
Tips for making Sugar Free Peanut Butter Balls
Scoop the peanut butter balls with a cookie scoop. This makes it easier to make the keto buckeyes as well as keep them all the same size.
Don’t over melt the chocolate. I like to melt the chocolate in the microwave. You can also melt the chocolate on a double broiler on the stove, which is my preference when making low carb peanut butter balls.
Let set completely. I let my buckeyes set up in the refrigerator. It takes about 30 minutes in the fridge.
Room temperature cream cheese. Let the cream cheese come to room temperature before using, but do not use the microwave, place it on the counter to bring to room temperature.
Use creamy peanut butter. I use creamy peanut butter when making this peanut butter balls recipe, you can use crunchy but I prefer to have a smooth texture.
How To Store Buckeyes
Place the keto buckeyes in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator. These no bake peanut butter balls will last for about 2 to 3 weeks.
Can I freeze Keto Buckeyes?
You can also keep them in the freezer too. Place the buckeyes in an airtight freezer-safe container or freezer bag and they will last for about 3 months. When you are ready to eat a buckeye, let it thaw for about 15 minutes before enjoying.
Keto Buckeyes Ingredients
- Cream cheese. Full fat cream cheese is a must, you do not want to use the low fat cream cheese. It also needs to be at room temperature, do not use the microwave for this, place the cream cheese on the counter to soften.
- peanut butter. Natural sugar free peanut butter to keep them keto friendly is a must. I use creamy peanut butter but you can use crunchy if you prefer.
- coconut oil. Make sure it is a full coconut oil without any additives.
- kosher salt.
- lily’s chocolate chips. I prefer to use Lily’s but you can use just about any sugar-free chocolate chips that you want to.
How to Make Low Carb Keto Peanut Butter Balls
Line a sheet pan with a silicone mat or parchment paper and set it aside.
You can use your hand mixer or your Kitchen Aid for this part. In a bowl add the cream cheese, peanut butter, ¼ cup coconut oil, and salt. Mix on medium speed until the peanut butter mixture is light and fluffy. Should take about 3 minutes.
Place the bowl in the fridge for an hour or two until the mixture has stiffened up. If you would like to speed up this process you can place it in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
Using a small cookie scoop make the dough into ping pong ball size balls placing them on to a baking sheet. Make the balls until all of the peanut butter mixture is used up and then place them in the fridge for 5 minutes to set up.
Place your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments stirring between every 30 seconds until its all melted. You can also melt the chocolate using a double boiler.
Take the peanut butter balls and roll them in your hands to make them smooth.
Place one at a time into the chocolate covering about ¾ of the ball with chocolate using a fork to help remove it from the chocolate.
Place the ball onto a clean sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Continue until all mixture is used and place the chocolate covered peanut butter balls in a single layer. Place them in the fridge for 10 minutes and enjoy.
Keto Peanut Butter Dessert Recipes
- Keto Chocolate peanut butter mousse
- Keto Chocolate peanut butter pie
- Keto Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- Sugar Free Peanut Butter cookies
Low Carb Keto Peanut Butter Balls (Keto Buckeyes)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tap coconut oil
- 9 ounces chocolate chips lily's
- Line a sheet pan with a silicon mat or parchment paper and set it aside.
- You can use your hand mixer or your Kitchen Aid for this part.
- In a bowl add the cream cheese, peanut butter, ¼ cup coconut oil, and salt. Mix on medium speed until it is light and fluffy about 3 minutes.
- Place the bowl in the fridge for an hour or two until the mixture has stiffened up. If you would like to speed up this process you can place it in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using a small cookie scoop make the dough into ping pong ball size balls placing them on to the cookie sheet. Place them in the fridge for 5 minutes to set up.
- Place your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments stirring between every 30 seconds until its all melted.
- Take the peanut butter balls and roll them in your hands to make them smooth. Place one at a time into the chocolate covering about ¾ of the ball with chocolate using a fork to help remove it from the chocolate.
- Place the ball onto a clean sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Continue until all mixture is used. Place them in the fridge for 10 minutes and enjoy.