This hearty low carb Shepherd’s pie recipe is perfect to make now that the cool weather is coming. Keto Shepherd’s pie is the perfect low carb comfort food.
Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie
The chilly weather is going to start coming and that means my want for warm, hearty comfort food is going to start hitting too. This low carb Shephard’s pie is the perfect comfort food.
I have been making a version of Shepherd’s pie for years. I love that I can easily change up the veggies for what I have on hand. It might change it to not being a technical shepherd’s pie when I do that, but for me as long as everyone eats it I am ok with that.
The idea of trading out the mashed potatoes for mashed cauliflower was not at first loved by my family, then they tried keto shepherd’s pie and told me they were totally ok giving up their normal mashed potatoes topping.
What is Shepherd’s pie?
Shephard’s pie is a casserole that is made with layers of cooked meat and veggies and then topped with mashed potatoes. For this low carb shepherd’s pie recipe we have replaced the traditional veggies with low carb veggies and the mashed potatoes with creamy buttery mashed cauliflower.
Shephard’s pie got it’s name because it is traditionally made with lamb and shepherds are the ones who watch after the sheep. From what I have found iit originated in either Scotland or Northern England however it has been a staple comfort food in our house for many years before I ever looked up any information about where it originated.
When we are making Shephard’s pie we use ground beef or ground turkey because that is what I am able to find and what my family prefers. If you are able to find ground lamb feel free to use that instead of the ground beef in this recipe.
What goes with Shepherd’s Pie?
For us this is a full meal in itself with the meat and the veggies. However if you are looking for a side dish a fresh made salad like our Keto Olive Garden copy cat salad, or Keto Caesar salad would be a great option. You could also make some keto cheddar biscuits or Keto Cheddar Bay Biscuits.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this keto casserole 2 days in advanced and then do everything except the baking step. Bake when you are ready to serve the dish.
Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients
Ground Beef. You can also use ground turkey, ground chicken or ground lamb.
Spices. Salt, pepper and chives are the spices used in this recipe.
Veggies. I used canned diced tomatoes, fresh garlic and onion in the meat mixture and then cauliflower to make the cauli mash for the top. If you are wanting to add more veggies in the meat mixture you can, but stick to low carb veggies like zucchini, green beans or broccoli. You can use fresh or frozen veggies in the mixture. I like to use frozen and heat them in the microwave and then put a layer of veggies on top of the meat mixture and then put the cauliflower mash.
Cheese. I prefer to shred my own cheese instead of using bagged shredded cheese since they put ingredients in the bag so the cheese doesn’t stick together. I like using cheddar cheese but you can also use other cheeses on top too.
How to Make Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie
Cook the ground beef mixture.
While the ground beef mixture is cooking make the mashed cauliflower.
If your skillet is oven safe, leave the meat mixture in the pan and spread into an even layer and then if adding more veggies put them on top of the meat and then top with the mashed cauliflower, then the shredded cheese.
If your pan isn’t oven save move the ground beef to an oven-safe casserole dish. Top the beef mixture with the mashed cauliflower, then the cheese.
Easy Low Carb Dinner Recipes
- Ninja Food Pot Roast
- Crustless pizza
- Pizza stuffed chicken
- Mozzarella Chicken
- Baked Italian Chicken
- Cheddar Ranch Chicken
Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie
Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie Meat Ingredients
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 10 oz can of diced tomatoes
Mashed Cauliflower Ingredients
- 3 cups cauliflower
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large oven-safe pan brown the ground beef, onion, and garlic. Drain the fat from the mixture. Stir in the tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
- While your beef is browning bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil add in the cauliflower and cook until it softens about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower and return it to the pot. Stir in the butter until the butter is completely melted.
- Add in the heavy cream, garlic powder, salt, and pepper the cauliflower. Using an immersion blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- If you do not have an immersion blender you can transfer this mixture to a food processor or heavy-duty blender but my favorite to get the right texture is an immersion blender plus I don’t have to dirty extra dishes.
- If your pan isn’t oven save move the ground beef to an oven-safe casserole dish. Top the beef mixture with the mashed cauliflower, then the cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is browning.
Leave a Reply